Project for ASTR7741
Fall Semester, 2007
A "Standard Candle" Critique of Various SN Ia Progenitor Models
Observations seem to support the idea that Type Ia supernovae are
very good "standard candles." So good, in fact, that they have been
used in the context of cosmological distance determinations to show
that the universe is accelerating.
Actually, Type Ia SN do not all share precisely the same light
curves and, in particular, the peak brightness varies from system to
system. However, there appears to be a tight correlation between the
intrinsic peak brightness and the timescale for decay of Type Ia
supernova lightcurves. In fact, an empirical algorithm exists that
can be used to "scale" every Type Ia supernova lightcurve into a single
"standard" lightcurve. It is in this sense that Type Ia SN have proven
to be useful standard candles.
Peak brightness versus decline:
Additional interesting papers:
- The curves shown in Webbink's talk were taken directly from the
figure titled "Low Redshift Type Ia Template Lightcurves" posted
Krisciunas. Krisciunas, in turn, references the following group of
key papers on this subject:
- Phillips, M. M. 1993, "The
Absolute Magnitudes of Type Ia Supernovae,"
Astrophysical Journal, 413, L105
- Phillips, M. M., Lira, P., Suntzeff, N. B., Schommer, R. A.,
Hamuy, M. & Maza, J. 1999,
"The Reddening-Free Decline Rate Versus Luminosity
Relationship for Type Ia Supernovae,"
Astronomical Journal, 118, 1766.
- Riess, A. G., Press, W. H., & Kirschner, R. P. 1996,
"A Precise Distance Indicator: Type Ia Supernova Multicolor Light-curve
ApJ, 473, 88.
- Perlmutter et al. (1997)
- Goldhaber et al. [includes Brad Schaefer as one of the authors] 2001,
"Timescale Stretch Parameterization of Type Ia Supernova B-Band
Light Curves," ApJ, 558, 359.
- Woosley, S. E., Kasen, D., Blinnikov, S., & Sorokina, E. 2007,
"Type Ia Supernova Light Curves,"
ApJ, 662, 487.
- Kasen, D., & Woosley, S. E. 2007,
"On the Origin of the Type Ia Supernova Width-Luminosity Relation,"
ApJ, 656, 661.
- Baron, E., Bongard, S., Branch, D., & Hauschildt, P. H. 2006,
"Spectral Modeling of SNe Ia Near Maximum Light: Probing ...,"
ApJ, 645, 480.
- Dominguez, I., et al. 2006,
"Rotating Type Ia SN Progenitors: Explosion and Light Curves,"
ApJ, 644, 21.
- Timmes, F. X., Brown, E. F., & Truran, J. W. 2003,
"On Variations in the Peak Luminosity of Type Ia Supernovae,"
ApJ Letters, 590, L83.
Hoeflich, P., Gerardy, C., Linder, E., & Marion, H. 2003,
"Models for Type Ia Supernovae and Cosmology,"