ASSIGNED: FRI 18 OCT
FRI 25 OCT
1. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.8, PAGE 412. (Hint: See notes.)
2. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.9, PAGE 412.
3. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.10, PAGE 416.
4. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.11, PAGE 416. (Hint: See notes.)
5. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.12, PAGE 416.
6. GRIFFITHS PROBLEM 11.13, PAGE 416.
"I am now convinced that theoretical physics is actually philosophy."
— Max Born (1882–1970)
My favorite Born story: Born won the Nobel Prize in Physics for first
suggesting that |Ψ|2 should be interpreted as a probability.
In the original publication that he submitted he actually wrote "that Ψ
should be interpreted as the probablity" and only fixed his mistake
later in a footenote, added to the page proofs just before publication,
translated from the German as, "On second thought |Ψ|2
should be interpreted as a probability and not Ψ." So Born won his
Nobel Prize for a single-line
footnote added to a manuscript by hand to correct his original