research experiences for undergraduates (REU) in physics & astronomy
* * * * * *
the application deadline for Summer 2015 is February 15, 2015.
Application materials for Summer 2015 are posted below.
* * * * * *
REU PROGRAM FLYER
We host a summer REU program in Physics & Astronomy. The 10-week program introduces students to the nature of research-oriented careers in physics & astronomy, and fosters development of research-related skills and knowledge. Participants are matched with faculty mentors based on student interests. Weekly seminars, field trips and workshops provide students with additional skills development, professional development topics such as ethics and patents/intellectual property, and an introduction to common research resources. Many events occur in conjunction with concurrent LSU summer undergraduate science programs in space science, computational science, and biomedical sciences.
RESEARCH INFORMATION | ELIGIBILITY | APPLY | STIPENDS-LODGING-TRAVEL EXPENSES
PROGRAM CALENDAR | REU PROGRAM DIRECTOR
- Sample Project Descriptions
- Preliminary Mentor List for Summer 2015 -
- Areas of research available in the department -
- Local and regional resources -
- You must be an undergraduate student in any academic year (freshman through senior) at the time of the summer program.
- You don't need to have a declared major, but you must have already completed the introductory physics sequence at your school.
- Participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
TO APPLY . . .
- Your application comprises:
- The Application Form → PDF
The PDF form can be filled out and saved in Adobe Reader or equivalent.
- A Self-statement, up to 1 page in length:
The 1-page Self-statement should describe your academic background, your interests, and your tentative career plans. The Statement should indicate why you feel REU participation would benefit you and your future plans; also, describe how you believe you can contribute to your mentorís research topic. If applicable, you are welcome to describe prior undergraduate research experience, as well as any other information that you feel may be useful to our assessment. Finally, please indicate if you have a preferred mentor or topic area. (Note, however, that final mentor assignment occurs after selection of participants.)
- Your current college transcript(s):
A scanned copy of an official transcript is acceptable; please scan with at least 200 dpi resolution and format as a PDF file. If your school provides you with online access to your transcript or degree audit, a PDF printout of this may also be acceptable. In either case, the electronic copy of your transcript must be directly traceable to your school registrar. A handwritten list of courses, or a copied transcript modified by hand/typewriter/computer, will not be accepted.
- Letters of reference from 2-3 professors → PDF
You can give this Referee Information Form to your professors. Your professors should send their letters directly to the REU program director.
- All application materials must be sent to the REU program director. Please send all materials by e-mail to (). I will try to acknowledge receipt of all materials received by email. If an item cannot be sent electronically, please mail it to
REU Program Director
Louisiana State University
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
STIPENDS - LODGING - TRAVEL EXPENSES
- You are paid a program stipend of $5,000 to cover the cost of groceries, on- or off-campus dining, and other personal expenses.
- You are lodged in University housing at no direct expense to you. The housing is apartment style, with individual bedrooms and a common living area and kitchen. The apartments include utilities, internet, washer/dryer and basic cable. Your roommates will be participants in the Physics REU and other summer science programs.
- Up to $700 per student is available to assist with travel expenses to get to LSU at the beginning of the program and to return to your home or school at the end of the summer.
PROGRAM CALENDAR - SUMMER 2015
- February 15 → complete applications are due by this date (late applications will be accepted as space permits).
- March 1 → acceptance notifications will be sent around this date.
- May 1 → matching of participants to mentors will be finalized; travel arrangements should be completed.
- May 25 → first day of Summer 2015 Program.
- July 31 → Summer Undergraduate Research Forum (SURF), poster presentations from all students in the LSU's STEM summer research programs.
- August 1 → last day of Summer 2015 Program.
REU PROGRAM director
Our REU Program is funded by Award #1262890 from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
We thank the NSF for their Support.
November 3, 2014