Martin Tzanov, Ph.D.
Martin Tzanov, PhD
assistant Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 2005 - University of Pittsburgh
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
218-B Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Experimental High Energy Physics
My main research interests are in experimental high energy physics. Currently, my focus is to uncover the properties of neutrinos. I have been T2K collaborator since 2006. The T2K experiment in Japan is a long baseline neutrino oscillation experiment. It employs a high intensity muon neutrino beam produced at the J-PARC synchrotron complex near Tokai situated on the east coast. The beam is aimed through the Earth, 295 km away, to the Super-Kamiokande detector in the Kamioka mineon the west coast. The main goals of the T2K experiment are the precise determination of the θ13 mixing angle, the search for CP violation in the lepton sector.
In the Standard Model of particle physics, neutrinos are massless fermions interacting only via the weak force. In the past decade, several experiments have confirmed the existence of neutrino oscillation, which is the phenomenon of neutrinos changing their flavor over a certain distance traveled. Neutrino oscillations not only suggest that neutrinos have mass, but that the mass eigenstates are non-degenerate. This is clearly physics beyond the Standard Model, because it requires introduction of new physics inputs - neutrino masses and mixing parameters.
Current and Selected Publications
- A. A. Aguilar-Arevalo et al., [MiniBooNE Collaboration], "First Measurement of the Muon Neutrino Charged Current Quasielastic Double Differential Cross Section," Phys. Rev. D 81, 092005 (2010). [arXiv:1002.2680 [hep-ex]]
- A. A. Aguilar-Arevalo et al., [MiniBooNE Collaboration], "Measurement of νμ andν‾μ induced neutral current single π0 production cross sections on mineral oil at Eν~O(1GeV)," Phys. Rev. D 81, 013005 (2010). [arXiv:0911.2063 [hep-ex]]
- A. A. Aguilar-Arevalo et al., [MiniBooNE Collaboration], "A search for muon neutrino and antineutrino disappearance in MiniBooNE".
- A. A. Aguilar-Arevalo et al., [MiniBooNE Collaboration], "The Neutrino Flux prediction at MiniBooNE". [arXiv:0806.1449 [hep-ex]]
- D. Mason et al., "Measurement of the Nucleon Strange-Antistrange Asymmetry at Next-to-Leading Order in QCD from NuTeV Dimuon Data,"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 192001 (2007).
- A. A. Aguilar-Arevalo et al., [The MiniBooNE Collaboration], "A Search for electron neutrino appearance at the Δm2~1eV2 scale,'' Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 231801 (2007). [arXiv:0704.1500 [hep-ex]]
- M. Tzanov et al., [NuTeV Collaboration], "Precise measurement of neutrino and anti-neutrino differential cross sections," Phys. Rev. D 74, 012008 (2006). [arXiv:hep-ex/0509010]