Ward Plummer, Ph.D.
Ward Plummer, PhD,
Professor of physics
Ph.D., 1968 - Cornell University
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
229-C Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
Personal Home Page
Experimental Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
Investigations of the phenomena associated with the unique environment at a surface or interface driven by broken symmetry and reduced dimensionality. Specifically of primary interest is the coupling of the electronic, magnetic, and structural properties (static and dynamic) at a surface.
This general theme is being applied by us to study correlated electron materials (CEMs) with functionalities like high-Tc superconductivity, "colossal" magnetoresistance, and coupled metal to insulator and magnetic transitions. The exotic behavior of CEMs is intimately related to the coexistence of competing nearly degenerate states which couple simultaneously active degrees of freedom, charge, lattice, orbital, and spin states. Our approach is to investigate and hopefully learn how to tune the functionality in these materials by using the manifestations of broken symmetry, reduced dimensionality and spatial confinement using a variety of experimental techniques couple closely with theory.
Current and Selected Publications
- Xuetao Zhu, Yanwei Cao, Jiandi Zhang , E. W. Plummer, and Jiandong Guo, "Classification of Charge Density Waves Base on Their Origin," Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, 112, 2367 (2015).
- Quorong Li, Qing, Li, Minghu Pan, Biao Hu, Chen Chen, Jing Teng, Zhenyu Diao, Jiandi Zhang, Rongying Jin, & E. W. Plummer, "Atomic-Scale Fingerprint of Mn Dopant at the Surface of Sr3(Ru1-xMnx)O7," Nature Scientific Reports, 3, 1 (2013).
- Jing Teng, Chen Chen, Yiming Xiong, Jiandi Zhang, Rongying Jin, and EW. Plummer, "Anomalous Surface Lattice Dynamics in the Low Temperature Phase of Ba(Fe1-xCox)2As2," Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, accepted.
- Y. Wang, K, Kempa, and E. W. Plummer, "Foundations of Plasmonic," Advances in Physics, 60, 799 (2011).
- V. B. Nascimento, R. G. Moore, D. Mazur, J. W. Freeland, R. Saniz, H. Liu, K. E. Gray, R. A. Rosenbergy, H. Zheng, J. F. Mitchell, A. J. Freeman, J. Rundgren, and E. W. Plummer, "Surface-Stabilized Non-Ferromagnetic Ordering of a Layered Ferromagnetic Manganite," Phys. Rev. Letters, 103, 227201 (2009).
- T. Z. Ward, X. G. Zhang, L. F. Yin, X. Q. Zhang, Ming Liu, P. C. Snijders, S. Jesse, E. W. Plummer, Z. H. Cheng, and J. Shen, "Time-Resolved Electronic Phase Transitions in Manganites," Phys. Rev. Letters, 102, 087201 (2009).
- R. G. Moore, Jiandi Zhang, V. B. Nascimento, R. Jin, Jiandong Guo, G. T. Wang, Z. Fang, D. Mandrus, and E. W. Plummer, "A Surface-Tailored Purely Electronic Mott Insulator-to-Metal Transition," Science 318, 615 (2007).
- R. Matzdorf, Ismail, Jiandi Zhang, T. Kimura, Y. Tokura, Z. Fang, K. Terakura, and E. W. Plummer, "Ferromagnetism Stabilized by Lattice Distortion at the Surface of the p-Wave Superconductor Sr2RuO4," Science 289, 746 (2000).
- J. M. Carpinelli, H. H. Weitering, E. W. Plummer, and R. Stumpf, "Direct Observation of a Surface Charge Density Wave," Nature 381, 398 (1996).
- E. W. Plummer and J. W. Gadzuk, "Surface States on Tungsten," Phys. Rev. Lett. 25, 1493 (1970).