Joseph A. Giaime, Ph.D.
Joseph A. Giaime, PhD
Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 1995 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Louisiana State University
Department of Physics & Astronomy
271-A Nicholson Hall, Tower Dr.
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4001
(225) 578-5794-Office, 686-3169-LIGO
Personal Home Page
Experimental General Relativity
- Observatory Head, Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in Livingston, Louisiana - this is through an agreement with the California Institute of Technology and Louisiana State University.
- Research on improvements to the LIGO detector and on the Advanced LIGO detector to be installed starting 2010.
Current and Selected Publications
- B. Abbott, et al., by LIGO Scientific Collaboration, "Upper limits on gravitational wave emission from 78 radio pulsars," [LIGO-P060011-03-Z, Feb. 2007, 21pp.], Phys. Rev. D 76, 042001 (2007).
- B. Abbott, et al., by LIGO Scientific Collaboration, "Searching for a Stochastic Background of Gravitational Waves with LIGO," Astrophys. J. 659, 918-930 (2007).
- B. Abbott, et al., by LIGO Scientific Collaboration, "Coherent searches for periodic gravitational waves from unknown isolated sources and Scorpius X-1: Results from the second LIGO science run," LIGO-P050008-03, May 2006, 35pp.
- B. Abbott, et al., by LIGO Scientific Collaboration, "Search for gravitational-wave bursts in LIGO's third science run," to appear in the proceedings of 6th Edoardo Amaldi Conference on Gravitational Waves (Amaldi6), Kise Nago, Okinawa, Japan, 20-24 June 2005, published in Class. Quant. Grav. 23, S29-S39 (2006).
- E.J. Daw, J.A. Giaime, D. Lormand, M. Lubinski, J. Zweizig, "Long term study of the seismic environment at LIGO," Class. Quant. Grav. 21, 2255-2273 (2004).